Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Who makes me laugh..: 10/28/2015
We saw a show last night with the theme of Big Band that rivaled anything we ever saw in Woodloch, who set the standard for excellence. And the dancer, Leslie, came over to speak to us after telling us all about life in Jamaica, and we were both sorry we missed the show on arrival day with its Broadway theme because we were exhausted. The entertainment offered here is top notch, and I just wanted to prove I could write about something other than marital minutia. Because this really isn't a travel journal, I'm not back packing through Europe or teaching kids from South Africa how to solve the cryptograms that appear daily in the Star Ledger(the only thing I do well), I just happened to be able to swing a couple of Caribbean all-inclusives, funded by the meth lab I run in my basement, and suddenly people are asking me to blog and I don't get a single visitor, which is OK because face it, I'd be sick of me by now too. Yesterday, we were in the hot tub and Jim says to me, "You know, I've been following you on Facebook(as he should!) and I bet some people are going to say you are funny, and I reply "what do you mean I'm funny??" and then I shot him but actually did not because at least on vacation, he's a Goodfella. He then asked about whom makes me LOL, and we decided to challenge each other and name our top three contenders for FB friends who give us the giggles. Mine are, in no particular order but I'll start with the guys, my brother Steven Levson who puts me in stitches every time he calls, even 'though it takes about fifteen minutes of "what's new?" and "what's going on?" before he makes it real, and especially when his sidekick Kenneth Paul is in the room, and Kenny would make this list if he could make fun of me for other reasons than the fact that I see a lot of movies and I have a lot of respect for buffets. Next would be my college BFF James Donio, and it should be required that every insecure college frosh meet her gay BFF the first month they're on campus. They'll still be insecure about grades, but damn, they'll no longer give a shit about what they look like. Call me sometime, wouldja Jim? And then I should mention my blog muse Don, whom I won't embarrass with a tag(only my son Evan, who belongs on this list too, would be more embarrassed with a shout out) but Don makes me laugh, and even 'though I've known him for forty years, starting back when he had the rep of being one sardonic SOB and we might have lost touch had it not been for FB, he's the kind of good fella who showed up on the day I had to bury my Mom, even 'though it was minus eighty degrees outside, and he's the kind of mensch I hope my sardonic son turns out to be as well. Ladies second..The woman who makes me laugh the most is my BFF Rochelle Polonsky Napoli, and she is introverted so you'll just have to believe me when I tell you that she is much funnier than I could ever hope to be. We bonded over vomit in camp in 1976. I over ate, on sucky CAMP FOOD, which tells you how pathetic I am, and she walked me to the infirmary and she told me about all the counselors she didn't like, who also made my list, and by the time we reached our destination, we were both vomiting and I knew then we'd live happily ever after. Ro doesn't vomit, and she doesn't drink, but she did both at a very important time, the night before we were supposed to leave for Club Getaway, so she didn't go, so I had to go without her, which meant we just couldn't sit back and cut up everyone there, so I got out of my comfort zone and met my husband who yeah, has seen me vomit quite a few times and thanks to the fishbowl toilet of this room, seen more. I can't mention bodily functions without giving an honorable mention to Andrea Miller Seitchik, another camp friend who can talk about toilet humor and make you a four-year-old. There are so many contenders, but if I have only two more slots to fill, I'd go with the big sis I don't have but wish I did, Robin Siegel, who is so witty and brilliant she could make your head spin, which is why when you ask her who her favorite SATC character was she'd answer without thinking, "Miranda because she's a bitch." Or.."I'm glad you invited your Mom to the seder, but within minutes of meeting me she started to talk about her bowel habits." For those of you who don't know Robin, yes she works in a hospital, but as a librarian. My mom, rest her soul, loved to discuss her bodily functions. Oh, I miss you Mom., and what your reaction would have been when you saw the toilet had see-through walls.And if I have to think of one more female who makes the cynical me laugh out loud, I'd have to think of a FB friend I never met, someone I met through an on-line game and whom the world cruelly lost to breast cancer last year. I love and miss you, Kelly Covello, and talk about marital minutia, nobody captured it like you did. She made me laugh with every post, be it discussing the sliver of soap her family left her to shower with, or all the hilarity that ensured during SuperStorm Sandy, and because she lived on LI, she had more to complain about than even we did, but she weathered the storm like she weathered everything, from hating all the pink of this breast cancer awareness month to hating drivers who couldn't park. (Yet she liked me anyway!) She did..she liked my game playing skills and she was a FOKA(for you "Acrophobia" players, a Fan Of Karen Amster) and wow, did she make me laugh, even 'though she was a Republican.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment