Sunday, October 27, 2019

Starving in Hawaii

I will fly no other airline but Hawaiian Air from now on.  Even to visit relatives in Maine and Illinois.  This is the airline of beautiful views, roomy seats, seat belts that could fit three of me,  the airline of everything good. 

 I'll even sacrifice a movie and settle for  a short film. 

 The flight took thirty minutes.

OK..back to reality...flying exclusively Hawaiian Airlines is not an option.

We are now in the Mariott in Kauai, what Hawaii has always been in my imagination. The pool is expansive and gorgeous, the beach is surrounded  by chairs and cabanas and it's for guests here only..the beautiful waters are calling my name, but sadly, they're calling it at 5:00 PM--and the luggage JUST arrived--and we haven't eaten since early breakfast, so I'll have to answer the call tomorrow.

It was a jammed-packed day, and some of our fellow tourists are getting a little weary about all the time on the bus.  I'm not disliking the touring per se, but I wish we had a little more time on arrival day for fun and sun.

Our bus driver Rosario, nicknamed Rosie, was informative and amusing..and he's a guy.  A guy from Newark.  A guy who looks like he might have paid a visit or two to the Bada-Bing.

Kauai is the wettest spot in all of Hawaii.  It is a magical island that's been affected by heavy rains, including the Elvis hotel which is still in ruins.  It's a land of free range chickens and roosters, and we're told they like to show up at the local KFC for photo ops. It is forbidden to shoot chickens, but there are other ways to get them to meet their maker.  Choking, perhaps?

I'm babbling again, forgive me, because the luggage arrived late  and the pool sounds great  but e're not sure we have time to use it  and we're starving and..and..I can't even think straight.

I took a little time to enjoy the view today..and it was spectacular. We visited Waimea Canyon, which is considered to be the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. Cameras were clicking like crazy, and I found a kindred spirit.  While everyone was oohing and aahing over waterfalls and helicopters blending into rock formation, my kindred spirit, a guy from North Carolina who is here with his husband, was comparing notes on vertigo and sciatica. 

The road was eleven miles long and serpentine-like.  I kept my nausea and dizziness at bay, because it really WAS that spectacular by the time the coach reached the summit.  We saw so many chickens crossing the road(and know, I didn't ask why, it's none of my business) but we were told by Rosie that the chickens are not desirable on a dinner plate anyway.  Since their coops were flooded over all these years, they are free range, and eat only things like bugs for protein, thus Rosie explained they have a taste similar to that of a lava rock.  Although I have no idea how he'd know that.

Our last stop was Kauai Koffee,  a coffee plantation with a heavenly scent and many goodies to sample.

I wouldn't know, because despite our guide's warning that coach buses are where cell phones go to die, I spent the entire stop looking for a phone I never even use.  I never wanted to rely on a Smart Phone..I never wanted to be addicted like everyone I know is...but I didn't want to lose the damn thing.

Jim found it..deeply buried in the bus seat.  I have no idea how that happened..I can't even tell you why the chicken crossed the road. 

I took so many notes that I wanted to share with you regarding this beautiful island and its rich history, but I am completely incoherent.

I considered not blogging at all..but I didn't want the half a dozen of you who still read this to worry.

Tomorrow is a tour of movie locations set in this paradise..followed by ample time to use the pool and enjoy the ocean.

Tomorrow I will be well rested, well fed, and coherent.

I'm going to spend all night looking for Karen and I'll bring her back..I promise

No comments:

Post a Comment