Monday, April 20, 2020

Concert on the couch

I always get depressed on April 20th. 

 It's a day of terrible events, like so many days in that third of fourth week of this month.

(Waco, Boston Marathon bombing, Oklahoma City, mass shootings in Colorado and Virginia Tech, assassination of Lincoln, Titanic sinking, San Francisco earthquake,  the death of my Dad..all in what should be a sweet month..a gateway to summer)

I still remember exactly where I was when the news of the terrible school shooting in Columbine happened(entertaining Evan's pre-school friend Lorena and her Mom Grace) on this date, and how aghast I was that the shooters chose this date to "honor" Adolph Hitler on his birthday.

It was the sad day we had to put down our beloved poodle Max exactly  eleven years ago.

I cry so much in the month of April that I often wonder if the song, "April Showers" was written about me, even 'though it was penned before I was born.

And today is no different..except today, I cried tears of joy.

Incredible joy, even 'though the day started off as crappy and predictable. usual.

The weather's terrible, the news is worse.  

I miss Evan now that he's moved out, even 'though I saw him last night and he'll be back for dinner tonight.  (I know..totally irrational)

I was sad because this is the one awful week we just have to get used to.  We hunker down and before you know it, it's May flowers!

  And June  summer plans!

Which of course, are all on hold... indefinitely.

So I decided to visit Woodloch on-line, even 'though there is no guarantee I'll be able to visit it for real anytime soon.  

Apparently, there was a live broadcast last night called "Woodloch at Home:  Concert From the Couch" which I missed, because I was too busy snapping at the family over all the indignities one suffers through while trying to order take-out, that came late, cold, and inedible.  (First world problems)

But then, I decided to find last night's concert, and for the first time in days..weeks..MONTHS..I experienced pure unparalleled JOY.

This concert washed away the blues like this April rain storm washed away the fallen petals from our cherry blossom.
tree.

 (which, sorry to say, will be be all over everyone's shoes in just a few days..and tracked into the hall..which I don't have the stamina to properly mop.)

I have never heard or seen talent like this.  Even if you've never been to Woodloch, you will be in awe over this show.

  (And you'll "feel" like you're in the nightclub, with your friends and family, eating pretzels or popcorn and watching it live)

And if you don't feel it, you've gone numb.

It is GORGEOUS, and uplifting, and FUN.

Each act is better than the next.

I don't want to spoil the ending, but let's just say they've recruited a lot of gifted couch potatoes from all over Long Island, and their version of "We Are the World" will make you cry, and make you believe we've actually got one--a world-- on its way back to us.

It was AMAZING!!!!  It will be the best hour you'll had in weeks, trust me.

 and tune in!

Like..right now!!  www.woodlochpines.com (Woodloch at Home: Concert From the Couch)

No comments:

Post a Comment