I've been to a lot of seders during my 64 years on this planet, and if my math is right, I was probably even conceived soon after one in 1955.
Some are memorable, like the ones in Teplitzsky's and other Atlantic City venues with cousins on my Mom's side.
Lotsa people, lotsa Passover food, lotsa painful memories of being twelve and terrified that everyone would realize how geeky and pathetic I was.
And now look..I'm an extrovert, a people person who can't be around..people...
Or..how about what I mentioned the other day?
The many seders we've hosted here, with a "Wizard of Oz" Haggadah( with original songs penned by yours truly) and all the fun stuff like Passover Bingo and plague kits with plastic frogs...and a brisket recipe shared originally by my friend Lauren and perfected by me, as evidenced by all those guests who have requested the recipe many many times..
One of the most memorable seders of all was in 2007, when Jim, Evan, and I joined our friends Ernie and Ellen and their kids, Sarah and Sam, at Dreams Resort in Cancun Mexico. I recall they were a tad hesitant to book the trip during Passover season, but it was the most affordable time to go, and so we went, and Ernie conducted one of the most meaningful seders I've every taken part in.
We sat on the balcony in their hotel room, over-looking the ocean, (as Ellen quipped: "when it comes to dipping the bitter greens, we'll have plenty of salt water!") and the three members of the younger generation shared a bench while the four adults sat around a tiny table, on crowded balcony chairs, but yes, it was a real seder in every sense of the word.
Ernie enthusiastically led it, using a Haggadah passed down through generations and added a personal touch as a shout out to his ancestors. He poured the wine, we followed the book..and then..well..we went to a seafood restaurant, the only one that could accomodate our group that night, but it was still very memorable!
And yes, for blog readers who know how I feel about most seafood(with the exception of lobster and shrimp, which I wasn't going to eat on a holiday) the staff was so accomodating that they hand delivered a steak from another restaurant in the resort.. and Ellen, who by then was quite aware of my soft drink preferences, instructed them to bring my Diet Coke without lemon..in Spanish!
Yes, there are so many wonderful seders that take up residence in my memory bank..so many years with Harvey and Faith and their crew, so many attempts on my own to be the perfect hostess.
Tonight, like the rest of the world, were forced to celebrate Passover virtually, even 'though the important first and second nights were earlier in the week.
But tonight's seder will get deeply embedded in the part of my memory bank that celebrates joy, as I watched the hilarious, moving, and wonderful "Saturday Night Seder" conducted by Jewish and non-Jewish celebrities who made me laugh, made me well up, and made me miss the holidays of yesteryear.
If you missed it, you missed a big one, but you can catch the whole thing on YouTube.
Idina Menzel's voice can soothe even the most frightened soul.
May next year's seder be the best of all, no matter where I am, no matter who I celebrate it with.
May this terrible plague be a painful lesson in history that will never be repeated..
No comments:
Post a Comment