Friday, April 17, 2020

If it’s “broke”, it can’t be fixed

It seems like a decade ago, not a mere six months, when we spent seven hours in a CBS studio watching the live taping of the (admittedly awful) sitcom, "Broke."

 I detailed what seemed like seven hours of hell in my travel blog, mostly because of the length we were forced to stay there without food, water, or cell phones. (except for miniature Kit-Kat bars)

The episode called "The Dance" aired tonight, even 'though it was supposed to be the fourth episode, not the third

. I tried to listen for Jim's somewhat distinctive laugh in the audience, or ..my less than impressed critique of the writing, but neither made it to the final episode.

Neither did a good chunk of the dialogue we saw in the live taping!

It's too late at night as I type this to search for the blog entry, but I remember getting so frustrated with the contrived dialogue (and putting those feelings into words) and how each line seemed to be rewritten fifty times, which is what kept us there for seven hours.

I think we were only released because the actor who plays Pauley Perrette's son had school the next day.

.ah..school..remember that??

But as Pauley's sister and brother-in-law sat in the restaurant, trying to dance around the issue that they were "broke" and needed their friends to repay a loan, I said to Jim, "oh,,THIS scene..Poor Natasha Leggero had to describe "Tokyo" in about a dozen rewrites.  First she had to say something like, "you know, Tokyo?  The land of noodly soups?"  

That was changed to, "you know, Tokyo?  The land of tall buildings?"

Finally, she was forced to say, "you know, Tokyo?  The land where contestants will do anything to get on a game show?"

I remember this line in particular, because I wanted her nemesis to say, "yes, I know Tokyo..but you've clearly photo shopped Godzilla!" or even,"Yes, I know Tokyo, because I am not former Miss Teen America contestant Caitlin Upton, who, when asked a geography question, answered with  some gibberish about "South Africa and "the Iraq." and "such as"

Although when I made the comments aloud before the scene in tonight's episode, Evan said my jokes might have been funnier, but they were too obscure, especially the latter.

Anyway..Natasha talks about "Tokyo" and...

..absolutely nothing else!!

 Just the word Tokyo!

All those hours..all those rewrites and tweaks..all those memories of tasting that awful In and Out Burger at 11:00 PM because it was too late to eat anywhere decent...and the joke was totally cut!! They were all butchered like a fresh squealing lamb!

This show is too "Broken" to fix...

and..to say something so contrived that is sounds like someone on the writing staff of this dud of a show would say...:

"But not as broken..as my heart and soul."

Because as much as I complained about the seven hour ordeal, I loved every second of it.  I loved being driven around on the lot after the taping and loved the tour of the Warner Brothers Studio the next morning (I was in Stars Hollow, Connecticut!) and I LOVED that LA/Hawaii trip with every fiber of my being.

And I could have never predicted that there'd be a global pandemic a few short months later, that would make me not only question if I'd ever have another vacation again(and yes, OK, we went to Antigua the first week in March before the world turned into a living hell, I know, and I'm grateful) it made me question if I'm ever going to leave this house.

Ride in a car.

Drive a car.

Have professionals tend to my hair and eyebrows and toe nails.

I am mourning what was..and scared witless about what will be.

I know 2020 gave us two months..two effin' months!!

January and February, the worst part of the calendar in NORMAL years!

I want my June!  My July!

I want to criticize the writing of new shows and make new memories  with Jim.

I have things on my bucket list, damn it.

.I'm using that Caitlin Upton joke if it's the last thing I ever write!

But the only light I see at the end of the tunnel is in the shape of a question mark..a big, fat ugly question mark.

It's never been my favorite punctuation, isn't that the truth????????

No comments:

Post a Comment